Sunday, September 25, 2011

Moist Banana Nut Bread

Who buys a bushel of perfectly ripe bananas? Courtney does. Hence they got extremely mushy and inedible very quickly. But no worries! These super mushy and actually juicily disgusting bananas are ideal for making a perfectly delicious banana bread. As gross as they seem past their prime, overripe bananas are actually sweeter than perfect yellow ones. So when they start looking more like a yellow dalmatian than a banana, bag those puppies up and let em sit on your counter until you can no longer bare the sight of them. (you absolutely have to bag them though. When I said "juicy" I wasn't exaggerating....they also sometimes attract fruit flies at this stage. which is fine for proteins sake...)


This recipe was adapted from a recipe I found on Cooks.com

Ingredients
1 stick of butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 med. sized overripe bananas
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla 
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 tablespoons crushed walnuts

Directions
1. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees

2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.

3. Add the bananas, egg yolks, vanilla, lemon juice and baking soda.

4. Stir in flour with a spatula.

5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until very soft peaks form or until stiff. With a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the rest of the banana mixture. (this is the trick to making your bread super moist rather than firm and dry)

6. Pour the mixture into the well greased pan and then sprinkle the crushed walnuts on top. Bake for 50 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Let cool on wire rack for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving. (mot recipes say cool completely but I couldn't resist, and I didn't taste a difference regardless)




For some reason this pictures look so much better on my computer.....I'm just an amateur photographer with a crappy camera though. I'm gonna take a class....eventually....the lighting is also terrible in my apartment. I tried going outside because natural lighting is always so much better but too many people walked by and I actually looked like a dumb ass - so I gave up

No comments:

Post a Comment